Top 5 most stunning English Gardens

RHS Garden Wisley, England, United Kingdom

RHS Garden Wisley. Photo 1.

A United Kingdom Garden Tour: The Top Five

WE ARE EXPERIENCING the coldest, iciest, snowiest winter in living history in Canada, so I decided I needed to publish a post full of warmth, colour and the beauty of nature. I give you, the English garden. The first time I visited the United Kingdom, many years ago, I was struck by their abundant beauty. A moist, temperate climate seems to be the perfect recipe, and the English are appropriately one of the most garden loving nations on earth. I have been to several well-known gardens in London and the south-west of England on previous trips, but for this post, I’ve picked the top 5 most stunning gardens in the land.

Sissinghurst Castle Garden, England, United Kingdom

Sissinghurst Castle Garden. Photo 1.

Sissinghurst Castle Garden, England, United Kingdom

Sissinghurst Castle Garden. Photo 2.

Sissinghurst Castle Garden

One the of the UK’s most iconic gardens, Sissinghurst Castle was designed by poet and writer Vita Sackville-West and her husband Harold Nicholson. After falling in love with the castle, they wanted to create a realm that reflected the romance and intimacy of her poems. The grounds are dedicated to beauty with colourful, abundant planting and themed areas. The castle itself has a rich history from its time as a prison in the 1700’s, to a family home and then to a residence for the women’s land army. Today, you can stroll through the uninhabited original buildings, view the glorious vistas from the top of the Tower and wander through the Vita and Harold’s charming garden, retained for posterity.

RHS Garden Wisley, England, United Kingdom

RHS Garden Wisley. Photo 1.

RHS Garden Wisley, England, United Kingdom

RHS Garden Wisley. Photo 2.

RHS Garden Wisley

On the outskirts of London, the RHS Garden Wisley, located in Surrey, has been a truly exquisite showcase of gardening expertise for more 100 years. In the springtime, the daffodil display is one of the major drawcards for many tourists and locals alike, while in autumn the fruit fields are alive with delectable harvests. RHS captures the imagination with its densely planted borders, whimsical rose gardens and impressive glasshouse.

Bodnant Gardens, England, United Kingdom

Bodnant Gardens. Photo 1.

Bodnant Gardens, England, United Kingdom

Bodnant Gardens. Photo 2.

Bodnant Gardens

Bodnant Gardens looks like it could re-ignite your senses! Located above the River Conway, this 32-hectare botanical garden features expansive lawns and romantic corners, idyllic ponds and inspiring terraces, with stunning views across Snowdonia. The flowers release their scents into the air, the cool, moist aire tingles and the eyes are delighted by the seasonal colour changes.

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden, England, United Kingdom

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden. Photo 1.

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden, England, United Kingdom

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden. Photo 2.

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden

This 900-year-old Cistercian monastery is Britain’s largest, and claims the title of North Yorkshire’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site. The adjoining Studley Water Garden is a feast for the eyes with elegantly landscaped foliage complete with neo-classical statues, a Victorian church, bridges that overlook the tranquil pond, ruins and, to top it all off, a medieval deer park.

Stourhead Garden, England, United Kingdom

Stourhead. Photo 1.

Stourhead, England, United Kingdom

Stourhead. Photo 2.

Stourhead

Stourhead embodies 18th century landscaping at its finest and has been described as a work of living art. Unlike the other gardens mentioned, blooming flowerbeds do not dominate this allotment. The main features are sweeping lawns, a picturesque man-made lake, classic temples and mystical grottos. You could spend a day here discovering the exotic trees and enjoying the wonderful display of rhododendrons.

All gardens mentioned are open to the public and make for a great day out. While some charge an entry fee, tours can easily be organised through the official National Trust UK.

Bodnant Gardens, England, United Kingdom

Bodnant Gardens. Photo 3.

Subscribe to the free — and inspiring! — e-newsletter that helps you love your travel dreams.

Photo credits

Fountains 2: Photo Credit: dvdbramhall via Compfight cc
Stourhead 1: Photo Credit: Owen Benson Visuals via Compfight cc
Stourhead 2: Photo Credit: FlickrDelusions via Compfight cc

, , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Top 5 most stunning English Gardens

1. Shelby Pizzarro March 4, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden … absolutely fantastic. I lived very close to there and visited many times. The atmosphere is incredible. Even went to a Bat Watch there.

One of the best things Yorkshire has to offer!

Also worth a visit is the Valley Gardens and Harlow Carr Gardens in Harrogate.

Thanks for brining these beautiful places back to mind for me. A nice break from this Winter weather! I very much enjoy your Blog.
    Shelby Pizzarro recently posted..Do You Dream?My Profile

2. Dan @ A Cruising Couple March 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks so much for these photos! I could use a good warming up. 🙂 The Bodnant Gardens look like a wonderful place for an afternoon picnic!
    Dan @ A Cruising Couple recently posted..Reflections on 6 Weeks in San PanchoMy Profile

3. Bram March 5, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Being a horticulturalist, this is like heaven. The gardens would be a major reason for me to go back to England.
    Bram recently posted..Belgium Under the Radar – DurbuyMy Profile

4. Renuka March 6, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Very pretty gardens! I am fascinated with England’s sophisticated beauty and the garden scene adds to the whole atmosphere.
    Renuka recently posted..My 5 Worst Travel Experiences So FarMy Profile

5. Prasad Np March 8, 2014 at 1:43 am #

Beautiful gardens, and some really interesting features, like that Japanese/Chinese type gazebo.

The British are avid gardeners and there gardens surprisingly look similar to the Mughal Gardens in Delhi’s Rashtrapati Bhavan and some of the gardens in Kashmir
    Prasad Np recently posted..Women Entrepreneurs of India: Some Pictures from my travelsMy Profile

6. Steven Garrett March 11, 2014 at 5:54 am #

How absolutely stunning!
    Steven Garrett recently posted..Living Off The Grid with Earth4EnergyMy Profile

7. Shalu Sharma March 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

Certainly beautiful set of gardens. I am not a fan of these gardens but they do seem very nice and will certainly like to visit one of them. They look very English and of course very traditional.
    Shalu Sharma recently posted..Monkey show in IndiaMy Profile

8. A. Madhavan March 13, 2014 at 12:00 am #

A-MAZ-ING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A. Madhavan recently posted..Miss Independent MamaMy Profile

9. David March 14, 2014 at 6:41 am #

I knew England had a milder climate, but the array of flowers here is quite stunning. The Brits also seem to have quite the eye for design … I love it!
    David recently posted..Best Time To Visit Santa Elena, ColombiaMy Profile

10. mahi gill March 25, 2014 at 1:22 am #

I love these photo. I never heard about them before. Through your blog I came to only.. Thanks for sharing these pics and information of these blogs. Keep it up
    mahi gill recently posted..HomeMy Profile

11. Lauren (English Wife, Indian Life) March 27, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Beautiful!
    This made me miss home!

I would always visit Botanical gardens in Cornwall with my Grandparents x
    Lauren (English Wife, Indian Life) recently posted..10 moments in India I wish I could have caught on cameraMy Profile

12. John Smeeth April 3, 2014 at 5:15 am #

Great information blog came to know about wonderful garden keep posting such informative blog.. Everest Kalapatthar Trekking ..

13. Mark April 10, 2014 at 9:18 am #

The English landscape garden, also called English landscape park, emerged in England in the early 18th century, and spread across Europe, replacing the more formal, symmetrical jardin à la française of the 17th century as the principal gardening style of Europe.

14. AdrienneAway April 18, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Beautiful!
    AdrienneAway recently posted..Shopping in SantiagoMy Profile

15. Vikas Nehra April 22, 2014 at 8:23 am #

very lovely garden and love Natural beauty.

16. Char November 6, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

I also love British gardens. It doesn’t get much better. Bodnant is perfection. I also liked Wisley, and I am visiting Stourhead this very weekend! Can’t wait. The autumn colours there will be perfect.

17. hanoi food tasting tour June 20, 2015 at 11:35 am #

Last year, I got the chance to arrive in England and stayed at Weybridge and visited the RHS Garden Wisley. Is was beautiful, so much to see! Lots of photography opportunities. The roses are amazing and everywhere is a riot of colour but the catering facilities are overpriced
    hanoi food tasting tour recently posted..Why Vietnam Is the best place to go in Southeast AsiaMy Profile

18. Brian March 27, 2016 at 7:21 am #

I think I am going to have to count myself fortunate that I have been to two of these beautiful places. Fountains Abbey and Stourhead, chances are that I won’t be able to get to any of the others in the near future though as I now live in the South of France. My wife and I do miss our English country gardens though, so we do our best to recreate a little bit of England in France, although it is much hotter and dryer where we are, it is surprising how much you can do. The French love to see our gardens here as well, especially the well manicured lawns.