WeGoSolo helps women travel alone safely, wisely and well — and now we have a sponsor!
Travelling solo for many, many months in India over the past seven years has been the most transformative experience of my life. I gained a level of self-confidence I never thought I would achieve. I opened myself up to another culture and allowed it to become part of me. I gained new-found perspective about myself as a global citizen. And I gained much, much more, including many new friends, an Indian family, a lifetime of adventures, and a new career as a travel writer. I believe in solo travel for women — and also in playing it safe (see my Top Safety Tips for Women Travelling in India.)
Join the weekly #WeGoSolo chat on Twitter on Wednesday at 11 am EST
When I founded WeGoSolo in February 2013, I did it with two aims in mind. One, I wanted to defend and encourage female solo travellers — you can read that initial post, Ode to the Lady Traveller: Why we need the WeGoSolo Movement here; and two, I wanted to create a community so women could share travel tips, strategies and resources to help keep each other safe. The tag line I use for WeGoSolo is: helping women travel alone safely, wisely and well.
So I am truly thrilled to announce that WeGoSolo has a sponsor, Hostelbookers; and that we are launching a contest, which you can enter on this blog and also on Ottsworld, The Shooting Star and A Dangerous Business. Sherry, Shivya, Amanda and I will each be offering a prize to one reader (four prizes in all) and all you have to do is help us find out more about female solo travellers and tell us your dream solo destination. The prize is a Hostelbookers gift voucher worth EURO 150 (about $200 CDN currently) — which you can use to book any properties on their site, and which will help you achieve your dream trip sooner.
Your Dream Solo Destination Contest
NOTE: CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED AND A WINNER HAS BEEN CHOSEN.
Winner will be announced during #WeGoSolo Tweetchat on July 10 (Wed 11 am EST).
To be eligible to win the Your Dream Solo Destination Contest, just follow these two simple rules:
1. Fill out this survey about female solo travel before June 26, 2013
2. Leave a comment on this Breathedreamgo blog post stating your dream solo destination before June 26, 2013
Announcing Hostelbookers as our sponsor!
I am thrilled that Hostelbookers is WeGoSolo’s first-ever sponsor as they support female solo travel. Check out the Top Hostels for Female Travellers page which spotlights the best hostels with girls-only dormitories AND excellent safety ratings from our customers. (You can also stay in a private room if you’re not the dormitory type.)
Here’s a message from the team at HostelBookers: “We are passionate about helping you fulfil your dreams of seeing the world, and we know many of our customers are very happy choosing to travel solo. We’ve been encouraged by the #WeGoSolo project from the start and we hope that by teaming up on this project we can inspire women to have the confidence to travel solo if they want to.”
Terms and Conditions
- This Competition is open to participants aged 18 and over.
- This Competition is not open to employees of HostelBookers, their family members, HostelBookers’ agents, or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- Participants enter the competition by completing the survey and leaving an answer to the question “What is your dream solo destination?” in the comments section.
- No responsibility is taken for entries which are lost, delayed or misdirected, or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
- The competition will run from 09:00 GMT 5th June 2013 and will close at 00:00 GMT on 26th June 2013.
- The prize is a two night stay for two people at any property on the HostelBookers website, up to the value of EUR 150. All accommodation stays are subject to availability and must be taken within one year of the winner being notified of the prize.
- The prize must be taken by the prize winner and may not be transferred to or taken by any third party.
- The winner(s) will be selected by Mariellen Ward of Breathedreamgo and announced on the blog on 9 July 2013.
- The winner will be notified within 7 days of the prize draw by email.
- If Mariellen Ward of Breathedreamgo cannot contact the winner within fourteen days of the prize draw Mariellen Ward of Breathedreamgo reserves the right to conduct another prize draw to determine a new winner.
- HostelBookers act as agent in respect of all bookings we take or make on your behalf.
- For all bookings your contract will be with the supplier of the accommodation or other service specified.
- Normal HostelBookers terms and conditions of sale apply.
Note: This contest is brought to you by Hostelbookers.
If you enjoyed this post, you can….
Get updates and read additional stories on the Breathedreamgo Facebook page.
Buy Song of India, a collection of 10 feature stories about my travels in India. E-book version is now only $1.99.
Subscribe to the free — and inspiring! — e-newsletter, Travel That Changes You.