Photo essay: Janpath Bazaar, Delhi

On the street in Janpath Bazaar, Delhi India

Photographing Delhi, India’s capital city

India, like so much of Asia, lives life on the streets. The streets teem with activity of all kinds, from the commercial to the deeply personal. One thing I have long noticed about India is that people on the street seem so comfortable living their lives publicly. I see great portrait shots every few minutes here because of the relaxed and open manner of the people, but I usually feel too shy to take out my camera. But this time, as I walked along Janpath, a famous street bazaar in central Delhi popular with tourists, I decided to engage with people and take some photos. Turns out, taking photos is even more fun than shopping! Click continue to see the faces of Janpath.

Follow my South Asia Sojourn from October 2012 to May 2013 — a six-month blogging trip through India and Sri Lanka, followed by a search for my family roots in Ireland. Subscribe to Breathedreamgo in the “Get updates by email” box to the right. Join the Breathedreamgo Facebook page; and the Breathedreamgo Twitter stream (hashtag #BDGIndia).

1. I often see street urchins in Delhi of course; it is estimated there are 250,000 street kids in the city. But this little girl and her friend (scroll down), selling pens in Connaught Place, seemed a bit different. They seemed to be having fun together and they didn’t “attack” me with demands for money. In fact, I approached them, and gave each of them 10 rupees for allowing me to take their photo. I enjoyed the brief contact with them, and hope they did too.

Girl selling pens on the street in Janpath, Delhi, India

2. Oh, hail, the autorickshaw drivers of India. Maniacal both in their driving style, and their driving desire to extract maximum fares from gullible foreigners. This is a rare shot of an auto driver at rest.

Autorickshaw driver in Janpath, Delhi, India

Autorickshaw driver in Janpath, Delhi, India

3. The shoes of fantasy, with curled-up toe, remind me of the prince heroes of the Arabian Nights stories. Called juttis, they are a regional specialty of Rajasthan. But many are sold in Janpath, some, for women, covered in multi-coloured beads.

Shoes are popular with tourists and shoppers in Janpath, Delhi, India

4. The women on the street selling wall hangings and other textiles are great studies both because of their colourful wares and their street-wise expressions. I am not the first foreigner to take her photo! I love her green sari, a very unique shade.

Shopping in India: Woman selling textiles in Janpath street market, Delhi, India

5. Half hidden in the shadows, among the colonnades of grand Connaught Place, a solitary figure demonstrates his wares.

Street musician in Janpath, Delhi, India

6. Like a ghost of Victorian England, the little pen seller with the sweet smile captured my heart.

Street Girl in Janpath, Delhi, India selling pens

7. She did finally smile, when I put the camera down, and it was like the sun coming out.

Woman selling tapestries and textiles on the street in Janpath, Delhi, India

8. More reminders of the Arabian Nights, a shop selling attar, oils and perfume in well-used bottles.

Attar and perfume for sale in Janpath bazaar, New Delhi, India

9. We had a laugh together as I enjoyed her relaxed approach to salesmanship.

Woman selling tapestries, textiles and wall hangings in Janpath Bazaar, Delhi, India

10. The colour of the streets of India, bursts of shimmering gold, deep indigo blues and complex shades of emotion and expression.

street seller in Janpath Bazaar Delhi selling wall hangings and textiles

Recommendations

As I travel in India for the next five months, I will make a list of recommendations at the end of each blog post.

Saravana Bhavan

Saravana Bhavan is a well-known chain of south Indian restaurants found in Delhi and many other cities. I particularly like to frequent the busy one on Janpath, near Connaught Place. Fun, inexpensive and dee-licious!

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Photo essay: Janpath Bazaar, Delhi

1. Cathy October 10, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Great pictures Mariellen !
    Cathy recently posted..Organic India Tulsi Tea Collection – Tulsi GingerMy Profile

• Caspian Holidays October 10, 2012 at 1:48 am #

everywhere are pros & cons, but if we love people then we love India also.
      Great Pics Mam,

2. Surabhi @ Know Andamans October 10, 2012 at 1:02 am #

Hi,

I am new to your blog but I absolutely love it! Your pictures, your writings and the way you write about my country truly tells the spirit. Your love for India shows in your posts. Keep it up.
    Surabhi @ Know Andamans recently posted..Asia’s Best and World’s Seventh Best Beach: Radhanagar Beach, Havelock IslandMy Profile

3. Lorenzo Gonzalez October 10, 2012 at 2:28 am #

Lovely photos Mariellen. Glad to see you’re having fun.
    Lorenzo Gonzalez recently posted..I Hate Belize… Belize City To Be More SpecificMy Profile

4. Shalu October 10, 2012 at 4:07 am #

Nice collection of photos of Janpath. Looking back it gives me a lot of memories. Thank you for refreshing them for me.
    Shalu recently posted..The Bishnoi VillageMy Profile

5. Desi Traveler October 10, 2012 at 4:22 am #

Awesome pictures,, took me back to my home town… have strolled in those streets for hours and hours and you took me back there… any plans to visit Hyderabad?
    Desi Traveler recently posted..The Cunning Fox of Tal ChhaparMy Profile

6. Charu October 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

I’ve never been to Janpath but these photos are beautiful!! Makes me miss home.

7. emma@gottakeepmovin October 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

I have such memories of this place and these photos just brought them all back! I particularly love the one of the little guy selling pens – what a gorgeous face. Little kids in India just make me melt. Thanks for sharing!
    emma@gottakeepmovin recently posted..Green space in Buenos Aires – the Botanial GardensMy Profile

8. Nisha October 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Oh your photos made me miss my Delhi even more. 🙁

I’ve walked the streets so many times and could recognize that woman selling cushion covers, wall hangings etc.
    Thank you. I could relive those moments.
    Nisha recently posted..Souvenirs from SpainMy Profile

9. Vinayakan Aiyer October 12, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Nice pictures Mariellen…and I always enjoy reading your blogs. It is so fresh and warm. I am glad you went to the Saravana Bhavan restaurant.

Now, I am thinking – how about you join the party with these young children. In return for taking pictures, how about you help them sell a few pens at Janpath? You speak Hindi and you are Indian on the inside anyway….I am so sure you will ace it!

More importantly, the amount of fun you will have writing about such an experience. And the pure joy BDG audience will have reading about such an experience.

Regards, Vinayakan

10. Tushar October 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Janpath is favorite. I remember during teenage I visit Janpath to buy round neck white color t-shrit at the rate of Rs. 30 which was personal liking. And how can I forget Mohan Singh Place where I till-date visit to buy corduroy cloth and get jeans stitched in few hours same day delivery. Very nice post. Thanks for writing. Very soon I have to visit to buy corduroy cloth for jeans. Hurrayyyyyyyy!!!
    Tushar recently posted..White-browed Bulbul at Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, RajasthanMy Profile

11. alka kaushik January 18, 2014 at 9:11 am #

OMG, how we ignore the delights in our own backyards!

12. Ankit Singh February 1, 2017 at 7:27 am #

Hi

Janpath, translated People’s Path, is one of the main roads in New Delhi. It starts out as Radial Road 1 in Connaught Place, adjacent to Palika Bazaar, and runs North-South perpendicular to, and past Rajpath.