Announcing winter travel plans

Travel in India to Lodhi Garde, Delhi

Lodhi Garden, Delhi. One of my favourite sanctuaries in the city.

Travelling to India, Sri Lanka and Ireland

Over the winter of 2012/13, I will be going to India and South Asia for the sixth time. My trip will criss-cross the subcontinent and include almost a month in Sri Lanka — and of course I will be blogging and posting updates to Twitter and Facebook along the way. In India it is very wise to go with the flow, so I will no doubt have unscheduled travel adventures, and discover stories of events, people and places I never dreamed of. But in the meantime, here are some of the planned highlights of my itinerary, below. Please follow along with me here on Breathedreamgo and also on Twitter and Facebook.

I’m also very excited to launch my new sponsorship opportunities brochure, which you can download here: BDG Sponsorship. In this brochure, I outline the possibilites and benefits of sponsoring Breathedreamgo as I embark on a winter travel blogging trip that is sure to attract interest, attention and traffic. Contact me  if you want to know more or to get on board!

Lake Palace Hotel, Udaipur, India. A dream of a city in the Rajasthan desert.

Lake Palace Hotel, Udaipur. A dream of a city in the Rajasthan desert.

Travel Itinerary

October 2012: North India

In October I will be primarily in Delhi, reporting on the sites and sounds of the capital city of the world’s largest democracy; and then the world capital of yoga, Rishikesh, in the foothills of the Himalayas.

November 2012: Festivals and the Taj Mahal

November is festival month in India, with Diwali, the Festival of Light falling on the 13th. Highlights of this month include the Pushkar Camel Fair and seeing the Taj Mahal by moonlight at the end of the month.

December 2012: Orissa / Odisha and Sri Lanka

Orissa (new name is Odisha)  is a lesser visited state on the east coast known for magnificent temples and wildlife sanctuaries. The highlight of my two-week stay is the Konark Dance Festival: Indian classical dance at the world-famous Sun Temple. From Orissa, I head south for a 15-day Circle Sri Lanka Tour with Intrepid Travel that will take me through many of the lush, wild and unspoiled places in this country, which is included on many list of “places to visit NOW!”

January 2013: Sri Lanka, Kumbh Mela and India’s leading literary festival

The first part of January will find me continuing to explore Sri Lanka. From the middle of January, I will be back in North India for two big events: The Kumbh Mela — the world’s largest spiritual gathering — in Allahabad and the Jaipur Literary Festival. You may remember that last year when Oprah attended this event, and Salman Rushdie did not, they both caused a big stir.

Backwater boats in Kerala, India. We'll be doing this on the Indus Travels WOW trip in February 2013.

Backwater boats in Kerala, India. We’ll be doing this on the Indus Travels WOW trip in February 2013.

February 2013: Udaipur, Gujurat, Mumbai and WOW

I am planning to take the train through Rajasthan, the Land of Kings, stopping in the fabled city of Udaipur and Gujurat — the home state of Mahatma Gandhi. From there I will head to Mumbai, the most exciting city in India. On February 17, I will join the Indus Travels Women Only Worldwide (WOW) Tour: Southern Jewels of India in Chennai. With this group, I will be touring some of South India’s most fascinating sites and learning about the culture from a woman’s point of view. Join us!

March 2013: Himalayas

As the plains of India begin to heat up, I will head to the hills and explore regions such as Almora and Kumaon, stopping in places like Mussorie and Nainital, and visiting world famous Corbett National Park, one of the prime places to spot tigers.

The Himalayas as seen from Dharamsala  in north India.

The Himalayas as seen from Dharamsala in north India.

April 2013: Going home to Ireland

Finally, on my way home, I’m making a very special stop: As part of The Gathering 2013 — a nationwide, year-long tourism initiative to bring home the Irish Diaspora — I will be visiting Ireland for the first time and researching my family history.

, , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Announcing winter travel plans

1. Venkatesh Datatreyan August 30, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Hi , Nice to hear about your visit to India. While in Delhi I invite you to the Venkat Ashram in Gurgoan. If it suits you you can stay here to and enjoy the best of vegetarian food and we can share lots of Ideas on your travel to other parts of India. Please do write to me me if you need any specific help with logistics in other cities you would be visiting

Best Regards
    Venkat

2. Priyank August 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Hey Mariellen,
    Wow, that is lot of travelling but the weather would be ideal I imagine. Good luck with the wow project! 🙂
    Priyank
    Priyank recently posted..A geeky geographic overview of the Canadian RockiesMy Profile

3. Laura August 30, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

What an exciting year you have planned! How lucky we will be to share Delhi with you in October. If you see me wave, I’m the tall blonde in awe.
    Laura recently posted..Taking a WalkMy Profile

4. Shalu Sharma September 1, 2012 at 3:29 am #

I think you have a good itinerary all fun packed adventure. I hope you have good fun. You mention about going to Corbett National Park, just wondering that there has been a ban on Tiger tourism. Please have a look into this but I could be wrong.
    Shalu Sharma recently posted..Humayun’s TombMy Profile

5. mlle_sumathi September 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Hi Mariellen,

Great plans, Way to go ! if you go down south you must not miss my town ooty. I will let my people help you out while you are there …do let me know if you can adjust a trip to ooty in your itinerary.

regards,
    sumathi

6. Kent @ NVR September 4, 2012 at 9:28 am #

We’re excited to follow along. And you’ll be back in time for TBEX 🙂
    Kent @ NVR recently posted..Be WellMy Profile

7. Aziz Kassam September 5, 2012 at 1:02 am #

Very exciting plan,,,like to meet you when you are in Udaipur.

8. NS September 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

This is a lovely itinerary. I live in Gujarat. I am glad thats on your hit-list.. will look forward to your travelogues!
    NS recently posted..Melbourne: The Place I’d Finally Like To Settle InMy Profile

9. Sam September 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

What an incredible trip! You’re going to have such an amazing time. I just discovered your blog a couple of months ago and I have to say – you’ve inspired me! I just booked my first trip through Travcoa. I’m so excited and nervous! I’ve never gone so far abroad as India! I figured a group trip would be a good way to ease myself in to the travel lifestyle and different culture. So to you, Mariellen, I’d like to extend a big thank you 🙂

10. Mariellen Ward September 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Thanks, everyone. I do hope to stay at Venkat ashram, and visit Gujurat, Ooty, Udaipur, Delhi … and get back for TBEX (next June in Toronto).

The ban on tiger tourism is up-in-the-air at the moment; and I don’t think it’s a total ban. Let’s see. Whatever is best for the tigers, the environment and other animals, and the local economy is fine by me.
    Mariellen Ward recently posted..Bright Day at TIFFMy Profile

11. Aubs September 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Your trip sounds amazing. I’ve been reading your (very helpful) blog since I decided to take my first trip to India which will be October 1! Mumbai, Delhi, Agra, Haridwar and Badrinath, then Andhra Pradesh. I am travelling with friends who are locals and incredibly excited!

Does travelling to Haridwar and Badrinath require a protected area permit? I’ve only been able to find minimal information on how to obtain one – and most importantly where to obtain one. As I will be the only American travelling in our group I’m also wondering how that works (if they will give me a permit – 2 foreigners seems to be the minimum magic number).

Enjoy your trip! Maybe our paths will cross.

12. Rajesh September 26, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Amazing…you are so lucky.
    wish you all the very best, lovely itinerary. if you every plan to visit Varkala do let me know, would love to be your host 🙂 and yes…Keep writing
    Best Regards
    Rajesh

13. kush singh September 26, 2012 at 7:30 am #

it seems a gr8 itinerary and i invite you to stay at my hotel in jaipur (utsav niwas) ,can also arrange for your stay in pushkar .also the other request to you is have you ever heard of a town called bundi as i would request you to promote some lesser known places in rajasthan like the sleepy town of bundi ,if u r interested i would be willing to take you there as i want you to write about bundi.

14. rosie September 26, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Hiya… your blog is great! Just had to comment – I’m heading on my first trip to India in 6 weeks to Chennai/Pondicherry directions -no plans yet as its all very last minute! I’m hoping I’ll find inspiriation/tips in your blog somewhere!

Also I’m from Donegal in Ireland – so enjoy your trip to Ireland and tracing your roots! x

15. Stein February 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Should *India* appear on your destination list at all if you are a woman????