RaOne, Shahrukh Khan and me

Shahrukh Khan and me dancing on stage at RaOne premiere in Toronto. Photo by Andrew Adams of Katha Images.

Shahrukh Khan at RaOne premiere in Toronto

With me and SRK, it’s kismet

Yet again, I found myself in the eye of the Shahrukh Khan storm when he was here in Toronto for the opening of his new film, RaOne, at the TIFF Bell Lightbox. If you follow my blog, you will know that I wrote Shahrukh Khan and me about my love for his film Paheli and my thwarted chances to meet him; and you will remember that I finally did meet him during the IIFA Awards, which I wrote about in Bollywood in Toronto: Fave moment #1 – Meeting Shahrukh Khan.

When I found out RaOne was premiering in Toronto, I applied for media accreditation for myself and my trusty photographer, the very talented Andrew Adams of Katha Images — and then had the opportunity to become part of the meet ‘n greet, thanks to my friends Manish Mahtani of Nucreation and Mala Singh of Sama Models, sponsors of the event. Sama Models arranged the models; and all of the clothes we wore came from Nucreation, a store on Gerrard Street East in Toronto that carries some of the city’s most gorgeous lenghas, suits and saris.

So, I had the choice as to whether to wait outside with the crush of media, and interview Shahrukh Khan, co-stars Shahana Goswami and Armaan Verma, and director Anubhav Sinha; or become part of the meet ‘n greet and wait inside, not knowing how much interaction I would have with him. I decided that becoming a model for the night would be the better story.

Caught in the act! Me handing Shahrukh Khan my card and reminding him we have met before. Photo by Andrew Adams of Katha Images.

Dancing with King Khan to Chammak Challo

I brought my Nucreation sari with me and dressed in a bathroom at the TIFF Bell Lightbox — with the help of an Indian women waiting to see the premiere — and joined the other models in the lobby. We waited a long time for King Khan to make his appearance, as he had to give interviews to all the waiting media. Much to my surprise, he posed with us, and I reminded him that I had interviewed him before. And, to my MUCH GREATER SURPRISE, we were lined up on stage behind him and the cast, and when someone played the music from one of the songs in the movie, Chammak Challo, he taught us some dance moves and danced with us. Props to Sama Models for arranging this magical moment — which was “too awesome for words,” to quote my friend Linda.

Showman, star and nice guy

I have to say, now that I’ve met him twice and seen him in action, I have the highest regard for Shahrukh Khan as a true showman, a true star and a genuinely nice guy. At my age, I have developed a very good sense of people, and my sense of SRK is that he’s a hardworking professional, who is genuinely humble and caring. Whether you like his movies or not is another matter — that’s a matter of taste. But honestly, I am the LAST person interested in celebrity culture or being a “fan girl.” As one professional creative person to another, I sincerely admire him. (And of course, I do like some of his movies, especially Paheli and Chak de India!)

Shahrukh Khan and me on the red carpet at RaOne in Toronto. Photo by Andrew Adams of Katha Images.

A moment in time

In the end, standing behind Shahrukh Khan on stage was just a moment in time. But it was significant to me because it gave me a chance to soak it all in, and get that wonderful, magic-carpet-ride feeling — a feeling that started to happen since I started traveling in India. It gave me the feeling that all of this seems very familiar; this is where I am supposed to be, this is what I am supposed to be doing — in spite of the unlikeliness of it all. It is a very warming feeling. Jai Ganesh.

Photo by me, taken behind SRK and co-stars on stage at RaOne premiere in Toronto

Get updates and read additional stories on the Breathedreamgo Facebook page.

Buy Song of India, a collection of 10 feature stories about my travels in India. E-book version is now only $1.99.

Subscribe to the free — and inspiring! — e-newsletter, Travel That Changes You.

, , , , , , ,

13 Responses to RaOne, Shahrukh Khan and me

1. Natalie T. October 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Awesome photo! Love it.

2. Mariellen October 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Thanks Natalie! It was a fun night.

3. mala singh October 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

Thanks it was your Destiny “Kismet” to meet and greet the King of Bolllywood! You were awesome I loved how you were loyal to your fans on Twitter and kept escaping to Tweet! Thanks again Love you for being a part of our SAMA Models team for the Night!!

4. Olivia October 30, 2011 at 2:29 am #

very nice article
    nice experience with SRK
    I love SRK.. I await to meet him & then sing for his films… I can sing so I can say that

5. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures October 30, 2011 at 9:32 am #

How cool!!! He’s such a handsome man. And you looked GORGEOUS!

6. Mariellen October 31, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Hi Andi, I don’t know about handsome, but SRK is one of the most charismatic — and sexy! — men I have ever met, that’s for sure. He oozes charm, partly (mostly?) because he’s a very genuine, sincere person. Very ambitious, yes; but also very nice. It’s interesting to be near him, and watch the mega-watt star power effect.

7. Niles November 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

This is awesome Mariellen,

I was standing directly infront of you, as you were with all the models, and we exchanged a smile too. I too was glad that I got close photos and videos of SRK, since I was at the IIFA green carpet and Mcguinty had whisked SRK away onto the green carpet leaving us fans disappointed. SO this time, being that close at the Ra.One premiere was just awesome, chaotic, crazy and memorable. Fantastic for you to have met him and given him your card and also dancing with him:)

8. Mariellen November 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

I love the way you describe the moment Niles: awesome, crazy, chaotic and memorable. Sounds like travel in India. 🙂

9. Dialoha December 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

OMG! Luv that video. Returned from a month long trip to India-Nepal. I got to see Ra One in India…fun movie (all in Indian) and
    the crowd goes crazy in India. It’s nothing like watching a movie in America.

10. Lis ajeng juli.f January 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

I Like you SRK .. !
    I’m Fans you in Indonesia .. !
    I Love you ..

11. Suzy December 31, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

OMG this is so awesome!!! I just got back (two days ago!) from my first trip to India! Woah. I teach and practice yoga and just felt and deep calling from my soul to GO. It was Absolutely amazing and has changed/deepened/expanded So much for me! I am also an artist (singer, actor, writer and musician) – and my creativity just SOARED there. So incredible and inspiring. there is so much about that place… thank you for writing this blog Mariellen! Very awesome!
    PS I was also recently introduced to SRK and his amazing skills energy and prescence as a perfomer! love it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Indian Wedding Photojournalist | Ra One World Premiere with Shahrukh Khan - October 29, 2011

[…] You can read all about her personal experiences with the SRK on her blog. […]

2. My Story: Why I write and blog about travel in India BreatheDreamGo - January 13, 2012

[…] and I’ve had some fantastic adventures like attending the Kumbh Mela and dancing with Shahrukh Khan. It’s been a magic carpet ride. But I’ve done it with almost no real support, or […]