My Story
    Tips For Women
    Myths of India
    Incredible India

How to use the toilet in India

Indians don’t use toilet paper

Learn how to use an “eastern latrine” from Wilbur

If you want to learn how to use an Indian toilet, and have a good laugh too, watch this hilarious video from Wilbur Sargunaraj. If you travel in India, you may find you actually need this information: Aside from modern homes and high-end hotels, most of the toilets in India are holes-in-the-floor with water and no paper. This is a good skill to learn; trust me on this one.

By the way, Wilbur is actually a very talented musician, as well as a cultural ambassador extraordinaire. This is from his Wikipedia entry: “He is widely known as India’s first YouTube sensation. He has racked up nearly 3.1 million views for his unique music and instructional videos. And he comes with the added promise of ‘Quality, First Class, Sargunaraj Trademark.’ What his videos lack in production sheen, they make up for in unabashed entertainment.”

I will be profiling him on Breathedreamgo soon. We had a chance to meet while he was in Toronto and I found him to be a warm and wonderful person – and also very good-looking, behind his comic persona! Click more to watch the video.

Get updates and read additional stories on the Breathedreamgo Facebook page.

Buy Song of India, a collection of 10 feature stories about my travels in India.

Subscribe to the free — and inspiring! — e-newsletter, Travel That Changes You.

14 Responses to How to use the toilet in India

1. Realtree September 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Lol. Indeed it did not fail me to laugh. But seriously, they do not use toilet paper? Wow. I’d be really surprise if I get to India especially in their toilet.

2. Mariellen September 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks for comment Realtree. On a serious note, the world should be glad that India — with 1.2 billion people — does not use toilet paper. In fact, Indians use a small fraction of the world’s resources, compared to people in North America and Europe.

By the way, once you get used to this system, you will never go back!

3. linda September 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

I love him and am jealous that you met him! :D

watching him always brings me back home to Tamil Nadu….sigh….

4. jazzytunes September 15, 2011 at 12:32 am #

ok folks there are western toilets in india not everywhere. But I have never gone to india without taking my toilet paper a must for your packing list. Trust me easy to pack

5. Mariellen September 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

Yes, I carry tissue too, but sometimes you have to go with the flow :)

6. habtamu October 11, 2011 at 5:50 am #

it is good to see…

7. Donna December 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I can see the logic in using the toilet this way, but I’m just not used to leaving the toilet with my butt wet! How do you deal with that? Or do you just get used to water (and what else) dripping down your legs?

8. Indian October 22, 2012 at 3:31 am #

To Donna,
    If your wait a min, in the squat position, water will drip off. If you wear underwear, it will absorb some.If not you will feel a little wet. You can always wipe it with a cloth, like you do after a bath.If you dont wipe, its any way cool.Since India is a little hot place.

9. Sonny November 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

did anyone ever tell you, that u look gorgeous in the garb u r wearing in this pic! Ravishing! and that Kate Hudson looks like u… just a tad… just a tad… and ya ur blog is wonderful… just need some elephants……. cheerios!

10. Linda January 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

Thank you for posting this informative video…I live here in the States and stumbled across a website by accident advertising the “Squatty Potty” and after watching their video explaining our new Western Civilization in regards to our bathrooms w/commode and compairing the correct way to use the bathroom in regards to how our bodies are Anatomically…sure makes a whole lot of sense Health-wise. All the reviews were “POSITIVE” in regards to those who used the “Squatty Potty”. We here in the States could learn something from these guys. Our method here in the States with the modern toilet/commode, is not a healthy way for the human body to defecate. Again, thank you for sharing & God Bless!

11. Shruti July 5, 2013 at 9:53 am #

I’m a little late in replying, but had to mention that I love this. I’m actually an Indo-Canadian student, currently in Pondicherry, and this is very necessary for newcomers to follow. I was brought up in Canada for most of my life, and suddenly decided to venture into my ethnic backgrounds. This is truly a humorous blog. Carrying toilet paper is handy, but sometimes you could get stuck in a situation in which you have to use water and learn how to crouch properly or what not! India is definitely a place that requires research before entering, but it’s quite the adventure without pre-knowledge.

12. TrueIndie August 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Born and brought up and lived for my entire life in India, I still find this video funny! Yes, that’s the standard method we Indians use, and we also find water to be a more hygienic alternative to toilet paper. But I haven’t used this method since ages, since almost every place in cities have hand held faucets. I come from a middle class family, and we also use hand held faucets and bidet-like loos. Why I said bidet-like is because its not a separate basin. Just the usual american style loo with a faucet on the back! You do not need to pack toilet paper, as you can buy it here in lots of shops. But if you are visiting a village, then you will definitely need to learn this technique, or carry a toilet paper roll! Its strange for me because I will be moving to the US for two years and I was going through Walmart to find those hand held faucets, because I cannot get used to the idea of toilet papers! It is surprising that the same faucets are very expensive over there!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. India Pt. 3 – The call of nature « Sea / Sand / Sky - November 28, 2011

[...] knees, I found this operation do-able and even sort of fun, once I got the hang of it. Here’s a video on how to use an India toilet, in case you’re curious. The website, Breath, Dream, Go is a [...]

2. Kenyalang Cave, Gunung Mulu National Park in Malaysia(Avi!!This is what I want hear from you.), Sep 17th, 2013 | milu's dream traveler - November 1, 2013

[…] found a useful site titled “How to use the toilet in India“. I can imagine by his words, but I’m not sure yet. The thing is that it’s clear […]